The Brewers Association (BA) is committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse craft brewing community for both brewers and beer lovers. Since the creation of its Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Committee in 2017, highlights of the association’s work include publishing of a series of diversity and inclusion best practice resources for its members, engaging an ambassador to deliver seminars and keynotes for state brewers guilds, completing the industry’s first benchmark of brewery owner and employee diversity, creating the diversity and inclusion events grants program, helping to establish the association’s first code of conduct, and developing a mentorship program. The Brewers Association’s Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) department, established in 2020, leads the association’s internal and external efforts to cultivate positive change in the craft brewing community.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Resources
Research studies increasingly show that diversity and inclusion (or D&I) can help increase a business’ bottom line, drive innovation, attract more talent, attract more customers, and create more opportunities for growth.
The Brewers Association diversity best practices resources provide expert guidance to those businesses who wish to invest in diversity and inclusion, but may not know where to start. View these resources and other helpful articles in the Resource Hub.
The Brewers Association’s Equity and Inclusion Partner, Dr. J Jackson-Beckham, works with the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee to create these resources and provide expert guidance. Learn more about Dr. J and her upcoming speaking engagements here.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee
DEI Committee Goals
- Establish an organizational structure within the Brewers Association that is committed to diversity, equity, equality, and inclusion.
- Collect, collate, analyze, and disseminate data to promote diversity, equity, equality, and inclusion across all aspects of the small and independent craft brewing community.
- Support and promote diversity within the small and independent craft brewing community, including breweries, wholesalers, raw material suppliers, and retailers.
- Actively attract and retain a diverse community of drinkers of small and independent craft beer.
- Promote diversity, equity, equality, and inclusion on all Brewers Association public facing properties, including Brewers Association events, publications, and websites.
Formed in 2017, the Brewers Association Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee is made up of a cross-section of industry members from varied backgrounds and regions, and is committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse craft brewing community for both brewers and beer lovers.
The DEI Committee has four subcommittees that collaborate to create, steer, and implement a range of Brewers Association initiatives, including an ongoing series of diversity and inclusion best practice resources, seminars and keynotes for state brewers guilds, an industry benchmark of brewery owner and employee diversity, the diversity and inclusion events grants program, the association’s code of conduct, and the Brewers Association mentorship program.
- The mentorship and professional development subcommitee works to improve the accessibility of the craft brewing community and strengthen pathways to professional success for members of underrepresented populations.
- The philanthropy and outreach subcommittee works to identify and facilitate opportunities to financially support individuals, organizations, and initiatives that are aligned with the DEI committee’s goals.
- The marketing and communications subcommittee advises the Brewers Association and its membership on inclusive marketing and communication practices. It works to amplify the voices and experiences of underrepresented populations and engage in inclusive storytelling about the craft brewing community.
- The DEI education subcommittee works to promote and facilitate education about DEI best practices and improve cultural competency among Brewers Association members and the broader craft brewing community.
If you are interested in serving on one or more of subcommittee of the Brewers Association DEI committee, please complete this form.
Diversity and Inclusion Event Grants Program
The Brewers Association is proud to fund event grants in support of local and regional events that intentionally promote and foster a more diverse and inclusive craft beer community.
The Brewers Association envisions a craft brewing industry that provides unmatched opportunities for learning, professional development, employment, entrepreneurship, belonging, and empowerment to everyone regardless of identities, experiences, or perspectives.
The program seeks to increase the diversity of the workforce, leadership, and ownership of small and independent breweries by providing structured mentoring and advocacy to those experiencing barriers to access or advancement in the industry.
Learn more about this program and how to become a mentor or participant.
Diversity in the Craft Brewing Community Data
As a part of the 2018 Brewery Operations Benchmarking Survey (BOBS), the BA completed our first benchmark of brewery owner and employee diversity, both in terms of gender, as well as race and ethnicity.
View the Brewery Owner and Employee Diversity data here and analysis from BA Chief Economist Bart Watson in his post on Brewery Diversity Benchmarking: A Foundation for Change.