Boulder, Colo. – The Brewers Association (BA) and American Homebrewers Association (AHA) today announced Capitol Hill staff may now sign up for the Annual Capitol Hill Staff Homebrew Competition.
Any employee of legal age on Capitol Hill is eligible to enter the competition. This includes but is not limited to members of Congress and their staff, security personnel, custodial staff, and others.
“We are excited to bring the Capitol Hill Staff Homebrew Competition back to Washington for its fourth year and look forward to seeing what interesting brews come to the party,” said Gary Glass, director, American Homebrewers Association. “Capitol Hill is an important place for America’s more than one million homebrewers and D.C. is steeped in homebrew history. So much is made possible thanks to the support this historic and artful hobby sees from leaders in Congress.”
Key details for this year’s contest include:
- Eligibility: Any employee on Capitol Hill may enter the competition. This includes but is not limited to congressional staffers, security personnel, custodial staff, etc.
- Deadline: All entries must be brewed and delivered to the judging location between November 18 and November 30, 2019.
- Styles: All BJCP beer categories (categories 1-34) are eligible for submission.
- Rules: This event is a registered event with the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP). See the competition’s Rules & Regulations for how to package, label and submit entries.
- Judging: Judging will be done by certified beer judges and professional brewers, and all participants will receive tasting notes about their beer.
- Winning: The 2019 winners will have bragging rights and get their name engraved onto the Capitol Hill Staff Homebrew Champion Trophy, which they may keep for the span of one year. The winner will be announced on December 10 in Washington, D.C.
2019 dates to remember:
- July 2-November 1: Sign up to participate
- August 1-November 1: Brew your beer in this time frame to have it ready to submit for judging
- November 22-December 6: Drop off beer for judging (location TBD)
- December 8: Judging
- December 10: Award Ceremony and Brewers Association’s Holiday Tasting. The AHA will pour participants’ beer at the tasting!
Additional information can be found here.
For questions, please contact: John Moorhead, competition manager.
Contact: Maggie McClain (on behalf of the Brewers Association) 703-485-6551
About the American Homebrewers Association
The American Homebrewers Association® (AHA) has worked on behalf of the homebrewing community since 1978 and celebrates a membership of more than 46,000 homebrewers. The American Homebrewers Association organizes events including Homebrew Con™ and the National Homebrew Competition. The AHA also publishes Zymurgy® magazine for homebrewers and beer lovers, and offers money-saving deals and recipes via the Brew Guru® mobile app. The AHA is part of the Brewers Association (BA), whose independent craft brewer seal is a widely adopted symbol that differentiates beers by small and independent craft brewers. The BA’s Brewers Publications® division is the leading publisher of contemporary and relevant brewing literature for today’s craft brewers and homebrewers. Beer lovers and anyone interested in making their own beer are invited to learn more at HomebrewersAssociation.org. Follow the AHA on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.