The Brewers Association’s Export Development Program (EDP) began in 2004 with a grant from the United States Department of Agriculture’s Market Access Program.
The EDP Sub-Committee of the Market Development Committee meets to throughout the year to discuss activity plans.
- Educating international trade and media about the quality and diversity of products offered by the US craft beer industry and about the US craft beer culture
- Informing member breweries about opportunities for their products in key international target markets
- Complementing the industry’s own efforts to increase international distribution
The EDP provides the following opportunities for breweries.
- Trade shows – Brand exposure through shows in Europe, Asia, North America and South America
- Competitions – Participation in European Beer Star, Australian International Beer Awards, Brussels Beer Challenge and Stockholm Beer and Whisky Festival Competition
- Seminars – Export receptions and seminars at GABF and CBC
- Reverse trade missions – Key buyers brought to BA events in the U.S.
- Export resources – Market research studies and dedicated export guidance
- Promotion of American craft beer – International media exposure and education
The EDP participates in international competitions to generate publicity and assist EDP member breweries with gaining attention and distribution for their brands. The BA covers the cost of a consolidated shipment and entry fees for EDP members.
The EDP sponsors booths at festivals to enhance international trade and media awareness of American craft beer. Member breweries have the opportunity to send their beers to be showcased at these events.
How to Participate
Most program benefits are reserved only for EDP member breweries. Participants pay an annual EDP fee, based on brewery production, to offset administrative costs.
- $500 for breweries producing less than 5,000 barrels
- $895 for breweries producing between 5,000 and 50,000 barrels
- $1,195 breweries producing greater than 50,000 barrels
The BA offers a discounted membership rate ($795) for first-time participants.
If you would like to participate in the EDP or request additional information, please contact:
Brewers Association Export Development Program Manager
1.303.447.0816, ext. 137
- Craft beer export volume increased by an astounding 36 percent in 2014, with a value estimated at $100 million.
- U.S. member breweries have gained new distribution agreements throughout Europe, Asia, North America, and South America.
- EDP member breweries have won countless awards in international competitions.
- The program has generated media exposure for the BA and individual breweries in leading industry, news, and lifestyle publications.
Brewers Association is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, or marital/familial status.