The Brewers Association's (BA) Export Development Program (EDP) began in 2004 with a grant from the United States Department of Agriculture's Market Access Program. Since its inception objectives for the EDP have remained unchanged. These include the following:
- Educating international trade and media about the quality and diversity of products offered by the US craft beer industry and about the US craft beer culture
- Informing member breweries about opportunities for their products in key international target markets
- Complementing the industry's own efforts to increase international distribution
Though a few components of the EDP are open to all BA members, most program benefits are reserved only for EDP subscribers. An annual EDP subscription fee is used to offset administrative costs associated with the program and the use of USDA grant funds. There are 64 brewery subscribers to the EDP. Subscribers pay an annual fee covering July 1 through June 30 of the following year.
The fee is based on brewery production as follows:
- $895 for breweries producing less than 50,000 barrels
- $1,195 breweries producing greater than 50,000 barrels
- $750 for first-time participants (an introductory offer to the program)
- $500 for breweries producing less than 5,000 barrels
The EDP provides a solid return on investment for participating breweries. Annual EDP activities include the following:
- Trade shows – Brand exposure through shows in Europe and Asia
- Competitions – Subsidized participation in European Beer Star, Australian International Beer Awards, Brussels Beer Challenge and Stockholm Beer Competition
- Seminars – Export receptions and seminars at GABF and CBC
- Buyer missions – Key buyers and media brought to BA events in the U.S.
- Research/resources – Market research studies and dedicated export guidance
- Other – New promotional materials, political and media exposure
The EDP has made significant progress each year in achieving the BA's objectives. A few highlights of successes to date include the following:
- The Brewers Association (BA) reports craft beer export volume increased by an astounding 72 percent compared to 2011, with a value estimated at $49.1 million.
- There are new distribution agreements for U.S. breweries throughout Europe and Asia.
- EDP subscribers have won countless awards bolstering domestic and international PR.
- The program receives media exposure for the BA and individual breweries in leading industry publications.
If you would like to join the EDP or request additional information, please contact:
Export Development Program Manager
1.303.447.0816, ext. 137
Export Development Sub-Committee
The EDP Sub-Committee of the Market Development Committee meets to throughout the year to discuss activity plans.
Brewers Association is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, or marital/familial status.