Homebrewers Are Married, Educated and Geographically Diverse
Boulder, CO • November 6, 2017—According to newly released demographics data from the American Homebrewers Association (AHA)—the leading organization dedicated to advancing and educating people on the hobby of homebrewing—there are currently 1.1 million people in the United States who homebrew their own beer, and 40% of them started the hobby within the last four years.
“Homebrewing, in our opinion, is the greatest hobby there is, and the state of the hobby—underscored by homebrewers’ passion, commitment and creativity—is strong,” said Gary Glass, director, American Homebrewers Association. “The numbers show that we have a lot to look forward to in the years ahead, as the hobby is evolving and expanding, reaching Americans in every region and every corner of the country.”
Additional highlights from the AHA’s recent survey include:
- By the end of 2017, homebrewers will have produced more than 1.4 million barrels of brew—representing 1% of total U.S. production.
- Homebrewers are spread across the country, with 31% in the South, 26% in the Midwest, 24% in the Northeast and 19% in the West.
- The average homebrewer is 42 years old, and 52% are between ages 30-49.
- Eighty-five percent are married or in a domestic partnership.
- Sixty-eight percent have a college degree or some form of higher education, and nearly 68% have household incomes of $75,000 or more.
The AHA commissioned 1st Resource, a market research firm, to conduct the online survey from July 21 to September 22, with over 18,000 participants, consisting of both AHA and non-AHA affiliated individuals.
Contact: Jacob Streiter (on behalf of the American Homebrewers Association), 646-695-7047
About the American Homebrewers Association
The American Homebrewers Association (AHA) has worked on behalf of the homebrewing community since 1978 and celebrates a membership of more than 46,000 homebrewers. The American Homebrewers Association organizes events including Homebrew Con and the National Homebrew Competition. The AHA also publishes Zymurgy magazine and offers the Brew Guru™ mobile app. The AHA is part of the Brewers Association (BA), whose independent craft brewer seal is a widely adopted symbol that differentiates beers by small and independent craft brewers. The BA’s Brewers Publications™ division is the leading publisher of contemporary and relevant brewing literature for today’s craft brewers and homebrewers.
Beer lovers and anyone interested in making their own beer are invited to learn more at HomebrewersAssociation.org. Follow the AHA on Twitter, and join us on Facebook and Instagram.