Environmental stewardship is a top priority for both craft brewers and craft beer enthusiasts. Maintaining a healthy balance between stewardship, social enrichment, and economic vitality is important to the future success of craft brewing.
Through the benchmarking work and sustainability manuals, the BA and the Sustainability Subcommittee encourages conscientious brewing practices that will ensure the long-term success of the craft beer industry.
The Brewers Association is proud to offer a powerful set of tools for brewers to measure how successful their sustainability efforts in the brewery are. These tools are a combination of Sustainability Benchmarking survey data, a mobile app for ease of input of current data and a desktop resource to compare results with (anonymous) brewers of similar size across the country.
Most importantly, Stier assists BA members as they learn to utilize the BA Benchmarking Tools. The Benchmarking Tools include iEHS Mobile Metrics, software that allows data input from both a desk top computer and mobile device, and the Sustainability Dashboard, interactive software that allows brewers to track energy and water use as well as compare their performance to other breweries with similar annual production.
The BA sustainability subcommittee is made up of nano, local, regional, and national craft brewers from communities across the U.S. All share a passion for good beer and are committed to the vibrancy and future of the communities they call home.
The purpose of the Brewers Association is to promote and protect American craft brewers, their beers and the community of brewing enthusiasts.As brewers, we acknowledge that we depend upon the natural resources and communities that make our livelihoods possible, and that threats to these systems affect our ability to brew beer.
The sustainability subcommittee serves the BA purpose by helping current members and future generations to brew the highest quality beers in a manner that strengthens the value of our businesses, increases the resiliency of the natural environment and agricultural systems that provide brewing ingredients, and enhances the lives of our workforce and the communities we call home.
- Direct funding and research towards sustainability related issues and solutions that drive the greatest business value for our membership. Identify, benchmark and share sustainability related best practices, tools and resources that are applicable to breweries of all sizes.
- Promote craft brewing as a sustainable sector by showing what is possible through collaboration and uniting a cohesive voice that inspires change.
- Increase the usage efficiency of energy, water and other natural resources
- Reduce the amount and impacts of waste created and disposed
- Protect the long-term viability of watersheds in which we operate
- Identify and promote more sustainable barley and hop growing practices
- Identify and promote more sustainable packaging options
- Increase member education and engagement in sustainability related initiatives