In the later part of 2021, the Brewers Association (BA) Technical Committee was successful in onboarding 16 new members across all six of its subcommittees. This recent round of recruitment was driven in part by the biannual Technical Summit where committee members and BA staff coalesced around the initiative of improving recruitment and onboarding practices across subcommittees. The intent of this ongoing effort is to better align with the overall association’s diversity, equity, and inclusion work led by J Jackson-Beckham.
To forward this new recruitment initiative, a cross-subcommittee working group was organized to review and develop new guidelines for subcommittee expectations, outreach and communications, and standard onboarding procedures. The outcomes desired by this working group are to deliver a more inclusive recruitment message, develop tactics to successfully recruit new members, and to improve the onboarding process for all.
Recruitment & Onboarding Working Group
- J Jackson-Beckham, BA Equity and Inclusion Partner
- Jason Perkins, Chair, Technical Committee
- Ryan Wagner, Member, Draught Beer Quality Subcommittee
- Eric Ritchson, Member, Engineering Subcommittee
- Chris Bogdanoff, Co-Chair, Safety Subcommittee
- Rachel Bell, Co-Chair, Safety Subcommittee
- Walker Modic, Chair, Sustainability Subcommittee
- Jaime Floyd, Member, Quality Subcommittee
- Lauren Torres, Chair, Quality Subcommittee
“The first meeting is such a critical time for new members. Making sure they are set up to succeed and also set up to feel like they are a contributing member of the group right off the bat is important.“
Ryan Wagner, Draught Beer Quality Subcommittee
As a result of the input and direction of this working group, new recruiting and onboarding processes have been put into practice including candidate interviews with a subcommittee chair and BA staff, detailed information on accessing the tools and resources required to collaborate, arranged mentorship opportunities with existing members, and more. The working group will meet annually to formally review and update these practices, with the thought that this will be an ongoing effort that is informed by the perspectives of new subcommittee members.
The Technical Committee welcomes the diverse expertise, perspectives, and experiences from this new cohort, and will continue to work to support and invite new members to contribute. Visit the BA Committees Page for more information and to learn more about volunteering on a committee or subcommittee.
Draught Beer Quality Subcommittee
- Jack Hansell, Mad Jacks Mountain Brewery, Bailey, Colo.
- Keith Lemcke, Consultant and former Vice President of the Siebel Institute of Technology
- Nathan Gustafson, Little Thistle Brewing, Rochester, Minn.
- Matthew Davis, Allagash Brewing Company, Portland, Maine.
- Jimmy Walsh, The Veil Brewing Co., Richmond, Va.
- Megan Slater, Ignite Brewing Company, Barberton, Ohio
- Robert Eichenlaub, Eureka Heights Brewery, Houston, Texas
- Kimberly Bacigalupo, Sierra Nevada Brewing Co., Chico, Calif.
- Matt Linske, BDAS LLC, Denver, Colo.
- Tammy Nicholson, Lexington Brewing & Distilling Co., Lexington, Ky.
- Jennifer Sedillo, USFSP Brewing Arts Program, St. Petersburg, Fla.
- Matt Rachor, Meadowlark Brewing, Sidney, Mont.
- Tommy Cimino, Brewery Thirty-Three, Riverton, N.J.
Supply Chain Subcommittee
- Andy Joynt, Big Grove Brewery, Iowa City, Iowa
- Teddy Gowan, Societe Brewing Co., San Diego, California
- Sarah Fraser, New Belgium Brewing Company, Asheville, N.C.