Two new representatives join the 21-person board
Boulder, Colo. • The Brewers Association (BA)—the not-for-profit trade association dedicated to small and independent American brewers—announced its 2023 board of directors, with two new representatives joining the 21-person board. The directors gathered in Boulder, Colo., February 15-16 for the first of its regular quarterly meetings.
Garrett Marrero, CEO and co-founder Craft ‘Ohana (Kihei, Hawaii), started his second term as board chair. Marrero has served on the board since 2016.
New board member Mitch Steele, co-founder, New Realm Brewing Company (Atlanta, Ga.), and incumbent board member Jason Perkins, brewmaster and vice president of operations Allagash Brewing Company (Portland, Maine), were elected as Packaging Brewery representatives. Incumbent board members Jason Lavery, president and founding brewer, Lavery Brewing Company (Erie, Pa.), and Kris Spaulding, owner, Brewery Vivant (Grand Rapids, Mich.), were re-elected as Brewpub representatives. Incumbent board member Melissa Romano, co-founder and co-owner, Lake Anne Brew House (Reston, Va.), was re-elected as a Taproom Brewery representative. The incoming directors will each serve a three-year term.
Colby Cox, founder, Pure Madness Brewing Company (Jackson, Wyo.), and Tim Brady, co-founder, Whetstone Beer Company (Brattleboro, Vt.), were appointed by the board to fill two at-large seats and will each serve a two-year term. Additionally, the American Homebrewers Association (AHA) Governing Committee appointed Shawna Cormier of Burien, Wash., to fill one of its two seats on the Brewers Association board. Cormier will serve a two-year term.
Marrero thanked outgoing board member Sara Nelson, Fremont Brewing Co. (Seattle, Wash.), for her three years of leadership, dedication, and service.
“I’m honored to begin my second year as chair and excited to work alongside these 20 outstanding brewers who have committed their time, knowledge, and experience to serving the craft brewing community,” said Marrero. “Aloha to our incoming new board members and to those who’ve moved on, we have our work cut out for us, but I couldn’t be more excited to work with this amazing group of diverse individuals to protect and promote America’s craft brewers!”
The 2023 Brewers Association Board of Directors is comprised of the following members:
(*indicates new to the board in 2023)
- Chair – Garrett Marrero, Maui Brewing Co., Kihei, Hawaii
- Vice Chair – Leah Cheston, Right Proper Brewing Co., Washington, D.C.
- Secretary & Treasurer – Peter Skrbek, Deschutes Brewery, Bend, Ore.
- Past Chair – Dan Kleban, Maine Beer Co., Freeport, Maine
- Brewers Association President & CEO – Bob Pease
Packaging Brewers Representative Board Members
- Tomme Arthur, Port Brewing Co. and The Lost Abbey, San Marcos, Calif.
- Chris Herron, Creature Comforts Brewing Co., Athens, Ga.
- Dan Kleban, Maine Beer Co., Freeport, Maine
- Garrett Marrero, Maui Brewing Co., Kihei, Hawaii
- Virginia Morrison, Second Chance Beer Co., San Diego, Calif.
- Jason Perkins, Allagash Brewing Co., Portland, Maine
- *Mitch Steele, New Realm Brewing Co., Atlanta, Ga.
Pub Brewers Representative Board Members
- Marcus Baskerville, Weathered Souls Brewing Co., San Antonio, Texas
- Leah Cheston, Right Proper Brewing Co., Washington, D.C.
- Jason Lavery, Lavery Brewing Co., Erie, Pa.
- Kris Spaulding, Brewery Vivant, Grand Rapids, Mich.
Taproom Brewers Representative Board Members
- Betty Bollas, Fibonacci Brewing Co., Cincinnati, Ohio
- Holly Redding, Winchester Brew Works, Winchester, Va.
- Melissa Romano, Lake Anne Brewhouse, Reston, Va.
At-Large Board Members
- Tim Brady, Whetstone Beer Co., Brattleboro, Vt.
- Pamela Brulotte, Icicle Brewing Co., Leavenworth, Wash.
- Colby Cox, Roadhouse Brewing Co., Jackson, Wyo.
- Fred Matt, Saranac Brewery/Matt Brewing Co., Utica, N.Y.
- Peter Skrbek, Deschutes Brewery, Bend, Ore.
American Homebrewers Association Representative Board Members
- *Shawna Cormier, Burien, Wash.
- Roxanne Westendorf, Cincinnati, Ohio
- AHA Governing – Shawna Cormier
- Brewpubs – Jason Lavery & Kris Spaulding
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion – Virginia Morrison
- Events – Tim Brady
- Executive – Garrett Marrero
- Finance – Peter Skrbek
- Governance – Roxanne Westendorf
- Government Affairs – Garrett Marrero
- Market Development – Fred Matt
- Public Relations & Marketing – Colby Cox & Fred Matt
- Taprooms – Melissa Romano & Holly Redding
- Technical – Jason Perkins & Kris Spaulding
The board of directors guides the strategic direction of the Brewers Association. It governs the activities of the professional division of the BA, as well as the American Homebrewers Association, Brewers Publications, and events, including the Great American Beer Festival® and the Craft Brewers Conference® & BrewExpo America®.
“I look forward to working alongside the 2023 board to ensure small brewers have equitable access to markets, fair tax rates, sensible regulation, and the resources to not only survive but thrive,” commented Bob Pease, president and CEO, Brewers Association.” We thank the board members for committing their time, knowledge, and experience to serve our membership.”
Media contact: Meg Weldon (on behalf of the Brewers Association) 970.963.4873 x212
About the Brewers Association
The Brewers Association (BA) is the not-for-profit trade association dedicated to small and independent American brewers, their beers, and the community of brewing enthusiasts. The BA represents 5,600-plus U.S. breweries. The BA’s independent craft brewer seal is a widely adopted symbol that differentiates beers by small and independent craft brewers. The BA organizes events including the World Beer Cup®, Great American Beer Festival®, Craft Brewers Conference® & BrewExpo America®, SAVOR™: An American Craft Beer & Food Experience, Homebrew Con™, National Homebrew Competition and American Craft Beer Week®. The BA publishes The New Brewer® magazine, and Brewers Publications® is the leading publisher of brewing literature in the U.S. Beer lovers are invited to learn more about the dynamic world of craft beer at CraftBeer.com® and about homebrewing via the American Homebrewers Association®. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
The Brewers Association is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, or marital/familial status. The BA complies with provisions of Executive Order 13672 and the rules, regulations, and relevant orders of the Secretary of Labor.