The Brewers Association (BA) sustainability subcommittee has developed a set of foundational documents that will guide the group’s goals and projects. In support of the BA’s purpose to promote and protect American craft brewers, the sustainability subcommittee works to help craft brewers maintain a healthy balance between stewardship, social enrichment and economic vitality.
Current projects that the BA sustainability subcommittee supports include expansion of the BA Sustainability Manuals, with new sections addressing waste water treatment and responsible building practices, as well as the ongoing Benchmarking Project which will assist craft brewers to improve their efficiencies and grow in a sustainable manner.
The BA sustainability subcommittee is made up of nano, local, regional, and national craft brewers from communities across the U.S. All share a passion for good beer and are committed to the vibrancy and future of the communities they call home.
BA Sustainability Subcommittee Purpose
The purpose of the Brewers Association is to promote and protect American craft brewers, their beers and the community of brewing enthusiasts.
As brewers, we acknowledge that we depend upon the natural resources and communities that make our livelihoods possible, and that threats to these systems affect our ability to brew beer.
The sustainability subcommittee serves the BA purpose by helping current members and future generations to brew the highest quality beers in a manner that strengthens the value of our businesses, increases the resiliency of the natural environment and agricultural systems that provide brewing ingredients, and enhances the lives of our workforce and the communities we call home.
What is the aim of this subcommittee?
- Direct funding and research towards sustainability related issues and solutions that drive the greatest business value for our membership
- Identify, benchmark and share sustainability related best practices, tools and resources that are applicable to breweries of all sizes
- Promote craft brewing as a sustainable sector by showing what is possible through collaboration and uniting a cohesive voice that inspires change
What are our priorities?
- Increase the usage efficiency of energy, water and other natural resources
- Reduce the amount and impacts of waste created and disposed
- Protect the long-term viability of watersheds in which we operate
- Identify and promote more sustainable barley and hop growing practices
- Identify and promote more sustainable packaging options
- Increase member education and engagement in sustainability related initiatives