Event DetailsLocation: Hyatt Regency
Register now for the 4th Annual Draught Beer Quality Workshop at the 2014 Great American Beer Festival®
Developed by the Draught Beer Quality Subcommittee, the workshop will benefit anyone in the beer industry with a stake in delivering high quality draught beer. Brewers Association Director Paul Gatza will deliver the keynote, followed by an all-star cast of presenters who will focus on the retail environment with an emphasis on draught beer system design, maintenance, gas selection and product quality. Celina Tio, James Beard Award winner, Certified Cicerone® and competitor on The Next Iron Chef, Top Chef Masters and Iron Chef America TV, will deliver a retailer’s perspective on the importance of draught beer quality with her closing remarks.
Participants in the workshop will also receive an advance copy of the BA’s new publication, Draught Beer Quality for Retailers. This streamlined version of the Draught Beer Quality Manual is designed to give retailers the tools to serve draught beer in its optimal condition. Draught Beer Quality for Retailers will be widely released in October 2014.
Cost for the Workshop is $115 for Brewers Association members, $175 for non-members. Draught Beer Quality Workshop attendees have the option to purchase one ticket to the Great American Beer Festival® (GABF), while they last, for the Friday, October 3 session. GABF tickets are $75 and are not transferable.
Must show professional affiliation. Not open to the general public/homebrewers.
8:00 am – 8:45 am Registration (4th Floor, Capital Foyer) coffee/pastry
9:00 am – 9:30 am Keynote
- Quality: Empowering the Retailer, Paul Gatza, Director, Brewers Association (Capital Ballroom 4)
9:45 am – 10:30 am Breakout Session I
- Sensory Analysis: Detecting, Preventing and Resolving Off Flavors in Draught Beer, Matt Meadows, Director of Field Quality, New Belgium Brewing Co. & Rob Gerrity, Trade Quality Manager, Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. (Capital Ballroom 5)
- Economics of Draught Line Cleaning, Dr. Bart Watson, Staff Economist, Brewers Association (Capital Ballroom 6)
- Understanding Dispense Gas, Neil Witte, Technical Support/Training Manager, Duvel USA, Boulevard Brewing Co, Brewery Ommegang (Capital Ballroom 7)
10:45 am – 11:30 am Breakout session II
- Draught System Cleaning and Maintenance, Ben Geisthardt, Draft Dispense Specialist, New Glarus Brewing Co. (Capital Ballroom 5)
- Draught System Design, Jamie Jurado, Abita Brewing Company (Capital Ballroom 6)
- Reality at Retail – Maximizing Draught Profits, Jeff Bell & Todd Blondis, On Premise Quality, MillerCoors (Capital Ballroom 7)
11:30 am – 12:30 pm Lunch (Capital Ballrooms 1 – 3)
12:45 pm – 1:30 pm Breakout session III
- Growlers: Best Practices for Retailers, Brewers and Consumers, Charlie Kyle, Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. (Capital Ballroom 5)
- Draught System Components and Troubleshooting, Ernie Jimenez, Learning Instructor, MillerCoors University Distributor Learning (Capital Ballroom 6)
- Managing Draught Beer Quality at Retail, David Lujan, Finished Beer Manager, BJ’s Restaurant Inc., Kevin Reed, Director of Brewing Operations, Rock Bottom Restaurants & Breweries (Capital Ballroom 7)
1:45 pm – 2:30 pm Closing Remarks: Celina Tio, Chef / Owner JULIAN and The Belfry, (Capital Ballroom 4)
2:30 pm – 3:15 pm Question & Answer Roundtable Discussion, All presenters, (Capital Ballroom 4)
3:15 pm – 4:00 pm After hours networking (4th Floor, Capital Foyer)